Sunday, April 4, 2010

Blogable? Eatable.

I've always loved plants, but in a subconscious kind of way. It runs in my blood--my grandmother always had a garden, and I have cute memories of me helping. Ornamental plants never did it for me though--I like having a few around, especially in the dull, blue winter months, but I've always been a function-first kind of girl. Fast-forward to about 1.5 years ago, when I started a master's degree program in southern Virginia, and got a one-bedroom apartment (finally, no roommates!) with a 4X8 foot balcony. This was in August, and my few late season tomato plants yielded little. The next summer came and I was able to grow tomatoes, cukes (which died from too little watering), beans, herbs, and hot peppers.

Now, I'm newly married and moving to California in June to start my PhD, and am addicted to the idea of growing edibles as simply as possible on my tiny space. My thought process is, if I could make it, why buy it? This year I'm growing everything (except for plants I already have) from seed, but also moving in the middle of the growing season. Thankfully, I'll be able to bring all my planted containers with me on the move, and I'll be heading toward a longer growing season :)

This blog is my attempt to document my trials and tribulations with edible gardening on limited space. I welcome any helpful comments and hope that my silly accidents and lucky outcomes will aid in other newbies' attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment