Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mint's Alive!

One of the reasons that I started this blog is to share my trials and joys of gardening as a complete novice. I usually do pretty well with my plants, but I've definitely killed several in my time. So when something goes well after I've written it off as a goner, it's a thrill :)

This happened recently to me with my beloved mint plant. Virginia got a cold spell in January/February, and the hardy mint was left outside on my balcony in snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. I've left it out in winter before and it's died back but not died all the way, so I both didn't bother to bring it in and actually forgot about it in the midst of writing my master's thesis this winter. When I started gardening again in March, the poor mint looked like a goner. I don't have a picture, but believe me, what was left was hard, brown, and didn't make you think of life at all. I watered it anyway, and promptly forgot about it for two weeks (luckily for all my balcony plants, it rained a lot during these weeks!).









Huzzah--the mint is alive! This is less than two weeks' growth, amazing!






Of course, anyone who knows much of anything about gardening would know that this "weed" would grow back, but I adore this plant and was so scared that it was gone forever. Phew!

As you may also notice, this pic is from inside my living room, not on my balcony. The apartment complex is pressuring washing buildings this week, so my living room is *crammed*. Once everything gets back outside, I plan on doing a full update of all my lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment